epub In My Father's Country
Born in Kabul, Afghanistan, at age three Saima Wahab watched while her father was arrested and taken from their home by the KGB.She would never see him again. When she was fifteen an uncle who lived in Portland, Oregon brought her to America.Having to learn an entire new language, she nonetheless graduated from high school in three years and went on to earn a bachelor's degree.In 2004 she signed on with a defense contractor to work as an interpreter in Afghanistan, never realizing that she would blaze the trail for a new kind of diplomacy, earning the trust of both high-ranking U.S. army officials and Afghan warlords alike.
When she arrived in Afghanistan in the winter of 2004, Saima was among the few college-educated female Pashto speakers in the entire country. She was stunned to learn how little U.S. and coalition forces knew about the Pashtun, who comprise 40% of the population and from whom the Taliban arose. The blessing of the Pashtun is essential, but the U.S. army was so unaware of the workings of this ancient, proud, insular ethic group, that they would routinely send Farsi interpreters into Pashtun villages.As a Pashtun-born American citizen, Saima found herself in an extraordinary position—to be able to explain the people of her native land to those of her adopted one, and vice versa, in a quest to forge new and lasting bonds between two misunderstood cultures.
In My Father’s Country follows her amazing transformation from child refugee to nervous Pashtun interpreter to intrepid “human terrain” specialist, venturing with her twenty-five-soldier force pro-tection into isolated Pashtun villages to engage hostile village elders in the first, very frank dialogue they had ever had with the Americans.
From her posting at the forward operating base Farah in Afghanistan’s blistering western frontier to the year she spent in Jalalabad translating for provincial governor “Hollywood Pashtun” Sherzai to the near-suicide missions of a year and a half in the Khost Province, where before every mission, she left instructions on how to dispose of her belongings, having to face the very real possibility of not coming back alive, Saima Wahab’s is an incomparable story of one young woman’s unwavering courage and undaunted spirit.
Download «In My Father's Country» epub
Tag cloud: father's, country, cheap download, epub, 1 usd, epub, saima wahab
|Title||In My Father's Country
|Release date|| 02.04.2012
|File size||5.8 Mb
|eBook format||Hardcover, (torrent)
|Book rating||4.36 (816 votes)
If you like In My Father's Country, read this:
- In My Father's Country by Saima Wahab
- The Best of Clarence Day, Including God and My Father, Life With Father, Life With Mother, This Simian World, and Selections from Thoughts Without Words by Clarence Day Jr.
- Walking with God as Father (Knowing God as Father) by Wendy Thomas
- Call No Man Father (Father Koesler, #17) by William X. Kienzle
- Country-by-Country Profiles, Volume 2, Intellectual Property in the Global Marketplace, 2nd Edition by Melvin Simensky
- Tales And Popular Fictions; Their Resemblance, And Transmission From Country To Country by Thomas Keightley
- Travels Through North and South Carolina; Georgia, East and West Florida, the Cherokee Country, the Extensive Territories of the Muscogulges or Creek Confederacy, and the Country of the Chactaws. ... Embellished with Copper-Plates by William Bartram
- Cold Case Reunion (Native Country, #2) (Native Country, #2) (Harlequin Romantic Suspense #1669) by Kimberly Van Meter
- Fire Country (The Country Saga, #1) by David Estes
- Country Wedding (Country Brides, #3) by Ava Catori
- Country Code 54 Success Secrets - 54 Most Asked Questions on Country Code - What You Need to Know by Elizabeth Baxter
- The Country Cousins (Country Duo, #2) by Dinah Dean
- Diary Of A Hapless Father ( Diary of a Father, #2) by Pete Sortwell
- 44 Range Country Books Topped Out by J. Frank Dobie in 1941 and 44 More Range Country Books Topped Out by Jeff Dykes in 1971 by J. Frank Dobie
- Alice in the Country of Clover (Alice in the Country of Clover: Cheshire Cat Waltz, #5) by QuinRose
- Aerita of the Light Country (Light Country #3) by Ray Cummings
- Beyond God the Father by Mary Daly
- The Our Father by Victor Hoagland
- Between Father and Son by V.S. Naipaul
- Father by Elizabeth von Arnim
© Hotel 888 - All rights reserved. | hotel888.info